Local, Organic, Non-CAFO* Foods
Where to Find Organic and non-CAFO Food
As Sierra Club members, we are all well informed as to dangers of *CAFOs and pesticide use on our produce. We have received several inquiries from member regarding where to purchase meat and produce from farmers and distributors who do not add to the mega-farm, mega-pollution problem.
So we are starting a list and we need your help. Where do you buy your meat and produce? Have you been able to find organic produce in your area? Are there restaurants near you that serve free-range pasture-fed meat and poultry, and organic vegetables? If you've discovered a wonderful farm in your area that practices sustainable agriculture, let us know. We also want to hear from you if you are a member of a Community Supported Agriculture organic farm!
* See Facts about CAFOs
You can search the web for locally-grown, pesticide-free, antibiotic-free, non-CAFO and organic food near you.
- The national site for the Organic Consumers Association has listings for organic food, farmer markets, natural food stores, co-ops, organic farms, seeds, rBGH free dairies, organic cotton, and Community Supported Agriculture (CSA).
- Michigan State University Extension maintains theSustainable Food and Farming Systems Directory of Michigan Expertise. This 70-page document is arranged by county and it lists farmer markets, CSAs, organic farmers, and more.
- The Michigan Organic Food & Farm Alliance (MOFFA) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting an environmentally sound and socially just food system for Michigan. MOFFA publishes the Eating Organically directory of organic growers and food activists throughout Michigan.
- The Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) and the Natural Resource Defense Council (NRDC) provide lists of which fish to eat to prevent overfishing and overfarming. To see the list at EDF click on "Our Work", then select "Oceans". Also see the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch.
- West Michigan Cooperative, the region's first online farmers market, brought to you by Farms Without Harm.
- For information on other products, check out Green Seal. They were formed in 1989 to provide credible, objective and unbiased information to direct the purchaser to environmentally responsible products and services.
- Farms Without Harm, interactive maps of farms with safe, healthy food.
- Lamb Farm, John and Suzanne Smucker, in Manchester, have organic lambs, chicken, beef and compost.
- Earthscape/Full Circle Farm, Bill and Patrice Bobier, in Hesperia, sell organic beef and pork.
4220 E Loop Rd., Hesperia, MI 49421
- Food for Thought, in Honor, has a wide variety of unique organic jelly and jams.
- Roseland Organic Farms, in Cassopolis, has organic steaks, roasts and ground meat.
- Huron Valley Group list of local and sustainable food sources.