Lobby Day Materials
Welcome Citizen Lobbyists!
This Fall we'll be educating lawmakers about two important issues. We'll be advocating for legislation that would increase Michigan’s investment in Clean Energy (Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency) and establish a moratorium (and other safeguards) on hydraulic fracturing in the state .
The documents posted under Essential Materials are just that - you need to read these, at a minimum, to feel comfortable lobbying on this issue. You'll find additional documents under Supplemental Materials which will broaden your knowledge in each issue area. Dig in and enjoy! Don't worry about printing them out for Lobby Day because we will provide you with copies of these when you arrive. If you do additional research and find a good document you think we should add to these resources, please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I look forward to seeing you on October 9th in Lansing!
Essential Reading (all essential reading available here--plus some of the supplemental docs)
- MPSC Report from 2012 (pg 24-26) and 2013 (pg 23-27) – these are the latest reports by the Michigan Public Service Commission showing that renewable energy and energy efficiency are cheaper than conventional fossil fuel sources. This shows why we should be investing in clean energy instead of fossil fuels.
- Consumers Energy Optimization Website - Learn about how Energy Efficiency works by looking through the utility company’s website.
- DTE's Energy Optimization Website - And this is Detroit Edison’s website for energy efficiency.
- Energy Subsidies – this is an infographic put together by the Environmental Law Institute showing that fossil fuels have received much heavier subsidies than clean energy. This will help you fight against the fallacious argument that clean energy is only successful when it is subsidized.
- Future Energy Choices - this is an interview with an energy expert about what a clean energy future would look like, and the issues surrounding it.
- Michigan Sierra Club Clean Energy Website - this site has lots of background info for you.
- Stephen Colbert on Fracking - this will provide you with a good laugh and a solid background on the issues with hydrofracking.
- NYT Article on Fracking - this article shows that there are documented cases of Fracking contaminating water sources for over 25 years, and that oil and gas industry executives publicly lied about it.
- Michigan Sierra Club Fracking Website - this site has lots of background info for you, put together by our very own Rita Chapman!
- NWF Report on Fracking in the Great Lakes - this report from the National Wildlife Federation covers everything from the basics of how Fracking works to the specific legal issues surrounding Fracking. The report is specific to Michigan and Ohio.
- Fracking Job Report - this is a report from Food and Water Watch that shows that Fracking and Shale Gas development creates very few jobs.
- Fracking Accident Document - this document contains a list of problematic environmental incidents throughout the United States, showing that we don't want these problems to occur in Michigan.. .
- Facts on Fracking - the Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments (ANHE) created this fact sheets to help people become educated about the link between fracking and health.
- Natural Gas and Climate Risks - this is a report from the Union of Concerned Scientists exploring the potential impacts of over-reliance on natural gas for electricity."